The documentation todo heap.

Elyse M. Grasso said:
> Is there something I could do to help? It's been years since I programmed
> C, but I'm a former librarian, current configuration management tools
> consultant. I write good standards-compliant HTML and XHTML, and Perl is my
> life these days.
>
> Point me at something where I won't be duplicating effort and I'll take a
> look at it.
> --
> Elyse Grasso

Ok, here's what I've got at the top of my todo heap.

My first priority is a massive indexing job.  I have a half-dozen sources of
information either mirrored or linked from "http://kernel.org/doc"; already,
and before I add more I'd like to integrate the ones I've got into one big
index, sorted by topic.

I appended the skeleton of a possible index to the page, and I'd like to start
by shuffling in articles from Documentation, the lwn.net kernel page, and the
broken-up OLS papers I've mirrored on the site.  These are probably the three
highest quality sources of documentation with a reasonable granularity to the
information.  (The man pages are very good too, but the man page maintainer
expressed interest in maintaining his own html versions online, and I'd like
to give that time to settle before linking to a location that might move.)

Today I'm going through OLS papers from 2002.  I'm reading them all and
writing one paragraph summaries, which I can then use to slot them into the
index on a second pass.

It's possible that not every entry will wind up in the index.  I'm interested
in retaining historical material (how did we wind up where we are?), but some
things like the penguin logo graphic in Documentation/xterm-linux.xpm I just
don't care about.  (I'd rather link to the "history of tux" page and larry
ewing's page with the original graphics.)

If a paper is in archive.org we don't need a local mirror.  If it isn't, we
should have at least a private one which we can figure out what to do about
if/when the upstream site goes down.

There are a lot more things that need to be indexed.  With some of them the
granularity's wrong, such as the Linux Device Drivers books.  (Excellent
material, but how do you link into the middle of it?)  Many things have their
_own_ topic indexes, which don't integrate well with any of the others.

Another thing to think about is figuring out how stale/current stuff is.  For
Documentation/* we're going to refresh with every kernel release (and
eventually run a 404 checker to find dead links), and leave that to the
upstream maintainers.  (I have some cleanup patches I can push for that too,
but it's not a priority until I get the rest under control.)  Magazine
articles in LWN or linux journal have dates, as do developer's blog entries
and OLS papers.

One easy thing we can do is under each topic, sort the references by date so
the newest ones come first and the oldest ones are at the end.  If we want
more than that, we can give the topic its own sub-page.

Don't be afraid to link articles from multiple places if they cover, say, the
interaction of the memory management system with the virtual file system.
Lots of this stuff overlaps.

Beyond that, there's a ton of stuff to do.  Some of my todo notes are
at "http://landley.net/kdocs/pending/todoc.txt";.  You'll notice I haven't
seriously addressed the "make htmldocs" output yet (GIANT EVIL PERL REGEX!
AAAAAAH!)  I have a patch to make one big html page per book instead of lots
of little ones, but haven't figured out which would be the more useful format
to try to put up and index.  I do know that the "lots of little ones" changes
the produced pages with every version so you can't easily link to them
stably, but the one big page version changes the #anchor tags too.  Possibly
the sections can be named stably somehow?)

That's what I'm thinking.  Anything jump out as interesting, or wrongheaded?

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-