How do I split up a PDF?

I'm trying to split the OLS PDF volumes into individual papers so I can index
them into http://kernel.org/doc but the only tool I've found for this so far
is pdftk and the version in Kubuntu 7.04 doesn't work.

No matter what the input file is, pdftk says "Done.  Input errors, so no
output created."  With no explanation.  I tried strace and it does about
700,000 one byte reads (ouch) and then prints that out without making a
single additional syscall.  (It seems to have read the whole file fine,
though.  One byte at a time...)

I also tried "print to pdf" from Konqueror with a page range.  This produced
PDFs larger than the original (presumably bitmap versions of everything) and
of course this being Konqueror the result was misaligned (the top quarter of
each page was off the top of the screen).

Can somebody recommend a tool for splitting up an existing PDF file?

Rob
-