Re: [GIT PULL] Crypto Update for 6.10

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 03:12:53PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Maybe somebody can teach the kernel build in *general* that
> "kmalloc()" and friends never return an error pointer, only NULL or
> success? That would not necessarily be a bad idea if the scope-based
> cleanup otherwise causes issues.

Yes he did try this out:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240302082751.GA25828@xxxxxxxxx/

It resulted in an increase in total vmlinux size although I don't
think anyone looked into the reason for it.

> But this kind of hacky "one random piece of kernel code uses a very
> dangerous pattern to state that some *other* piece of kernel code has
> particular return patterns" - that is not at all acceptable.

Agreed.

However, this patch still has two outstanding build defects which
have not been addressed:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/202404240904.Qi3nM37B-lkp@xxxxxxxxx/
https://lore.kernel.org/all/202404252210.KJE6Uw1h-lkp@xxxxxxxxx/

So I might end up just reverting it.