Re: Inquiry about the removal of flag O_NONBLOCK on /dev/random

On 2022/9/7 21:03, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
On Tue, Sep 06, 2022 at 12:16:56PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 10:25 AM Guozihua (Scott) <guozihua@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2022/7/26 19:33, Guozihua (Scott) wrote:
On 2022/7/26 19:08, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 03:43:31PM +0800, Guozihua (Scott) wrote:
Thanks for all the comments on this inquiry. Does the community has any
channel to publishes changes like these? And will the man pages get
updated? If so, are there any time frame?

I was under the impression you were ultimately okay with the status quo.
Have I misunderstood you?

Thanks,
Jason
.

Hi Jason.

To clarify, I does not have any issue with this change. I asked here
only because I would like some background knowledge on this flag, to
ensure I am on the same page as the community regarding this flag and
the change. And it seems that I understands it correctly.

However I do think it's a good idea to update the document soon to avoid
any misunderstanding in the future.

Our colleague suggests that we should inform users clearly about the
change on the flag by returning -EINVAL when /dev/random gets this flag
during boot process. Otherwise programs might silently block for a long
time, causing other issues. Do you think this is a good way to prevent
similar issues on this flag?

I still don't really understand what you want. First you said this was
a problem and we should reintroduce the old behavior. Then you said no
big deal and the docs just needed to be updated. Now you're saying
this is a problem and we should reintroduce the old behavior?

I'm just a bit lost on where we were in the conversation.

Also, could you let me know whether this is affecting real things for
Huawei, or if this is just something you happened to notice but
doesn't have any practical impact?

Just following up on this again...
.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the timely respond and your patient. And sorry for the confusion.

First of all, what we think is that this change (removing O_NONBLOCK) is reasonable. However, this do cause issue during the test on one of our product which uses O_NONBLOCK flag the way I presented earlier in the Linux 4.4 era. Thus our colleague suggests that returning -EINVAL when this flag is received would be a good way to indicate this change.

For example:

--
Best
GUO Zihua