Re: arc4random - are you sure we want these?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 9:44 AM Jason A. Donenfeld via Libc-alpha
<libc-alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Or, if you insist on providing these functions t o d a y, and won't heed
> my warnings about designing the APIs alongside the implementations, then
> just make them thin wrappers over getrandom(0) *without* doing fancy
> buffering, and then optimizations later can improve it. That would be
> the incremental approach, which wouldn't harm potential users. It also
> wouldn't shut the door on doing the buffering: if the kernel
> optimization improvements go nowhere, and you decide it's a lost cause,
> you can always change the way it works later, and make that decision
> then.

My 2CLP here if that matters..I agree with this sentiment/approach.
provide this functions for source compat which all juist call
getrandom and abort on failure *for now*
and then  a future iteration can have something done about the syscall
overhead with kernel help.