Re: Looking for an open-source thesis idea

Eric Curtin <ericcurtin17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hope I'm not bothering you. I'm looking for a masters thesis idea, ...

> I'm really liking this
> new QUIC (UDP) protocol as an alternative to TCP over TLS. And with
> the growth of new modern secure protocols like Wireguard. I was
> wondering, would it be an idea to do a monolithic secure TCP protocol
> (as an alternative to TCP over TLS) as a small thesis project or is it
> as hard as the guys at Google make is sound?
>
> "Because TCP is implemented in operating system kernels, and middlebox
> firmware, making significant changes to TCP is next to impossible."

I'm inclined to agree with the Google folk on that. However, what about
IPsec? That was designed to secure anything-over-IP so it should be
a more general solution. The FreeS/WAN project added opportunistic
encryption for wider availability
https://freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-2.06/doc/intro.html#goals

Today some opportunistic encryption protocols -- SMTP-over-TLS and
HTTPS Everywhere -- are quite widespread but my impression is
that opportunistic IPsec is not. Would adding it to an open source
router be a thesis-sized project? Or, since routers likely have IPsec
already, just making it easier to deploy?

> I'm open to any other suggestions also for my thesis :)

Linux's OOM killer strikes me as a spectacularly ugly kluge,
but people who are certainly more knowledgeable and likely
more competent seem to think it is necessary. Is there a
thesis in examining it, looking at how other Unix-like systems
handle the problem & perhaps implementing an alternative
for Linux?