RE: nCipher HSM kernel driver submission feedback request

> > Again, you are correct. Although it is cryptographic hardware, the
> > driver code does not do anything cryptographic. It is just a PCIe driver.
>
> If this is "just" a PCIe driver, can you use the UIO interface and just talk to
> your hardware directly from userspace without any kernel driver needed?
>
> What exactly does the kernel driver need to do here?

Hi Greg,

Apologies for the delay in response but things took a little bit to get to some
kind of new normal. Hope things are well for you.

We would need to re-write our driver code in order to use the UIO interface
and access the hardware directly from userspace.  Besides the actual work
involved, this would add extra complexity to our code base as we support
other operating systems, which we would not be re-writing our drivers for.
Therefore, writing a userspace driver is not something we are planning to do
at this time.

We have worked through all the submission guides and have made our existing
driver 'submission ready' as best we can. This is the code we would like to be
considered for upstreaming. Should we make it into the linux codebase, we are
committed to providing long term community support for it.

Regards,
Dave

David Kim
Senior Software Engineer