Re: Hardware TRNG driver framework selection criteria

Am Montag, 30. Dezember 2019, 09:40:30 CET schrieb Mohan Marutirao Dhanawade:

Hi Mohan,

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am writing Linux driver to support TRNG hardware module for Xilinx SoC. I
> am seeing two frameworks - crypto framework and hw_random (char driver)
> which can be used to write driver for TRNG. Can someone please educate me
> on what criteria is to be used to decide which framework to use for TRNG
> (Crypto framework / hw_random char driver)?

The crypto API RNG framework is used to implement deterministic RNGs which in
turn need seending from a noise source.

The HW RNG framework is used for accessing RNGs which have their own noise
source and provide random data with appropriate entropy. These RNGs are
available via /dev/hwrng.

> Regards,
> Mohan
> This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named
> recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be
> proprietary, privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not
> the intended recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or
> any attachments. Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.

Ciao
Stephan