Re: Chacha-Poly performance on ARM64

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 16:55, Pascal Van Leeuwen
<pvanleeuwen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently doing some performance benchmarking on a quad core Cortex
> A72 (Macchiatobin dev board) for rfc7539esp (ChachaPoly) and the
> relatively low performance kind of took me by surprise, considering how
> everyone  keeps shouting how efficient Chacha-Poly is in software on
> modern CPU's.
>
> Then I noticed that it was using chacha20-generic for the encrypt
> direction, while a chacha20-neon implementation exists (it actually
> DOES use that one for decryption). Why would that be?
>
> Also, it also uses poly1305-generic in both cases. Is that the best
> possible on ARM64? I did a quick search in the codebase but couldn't
> find any ARM64 optimized version ...

The Poly1305 implementation is part of the 18 piece WireGuard series I
just sent out yesterday (which I know you have seen :-))

The Chacha20 code should be used in preference to the generic code, so
if you end up with the wrong version, there's a bug somewhere we need
to fix.

Also, how do you know which direction uses which transform? What are
the refcounts for the transforms in /proc/crypto?