Re: BUG: libkcapi tests trigger sleep-in-atomic bug in VMX code (ppc64)

Am Dienstag, 21. August 2018, 14:48:11 CEST schrieb Ondrej Mosnáček:

Hi Ondrej, Marcelo,

(+Marcelo)

> Looking at crypto/algif_skcipher.c, I can see that skcipher_recvmsg()
> holds the socket lock the whole time and yet passes
> CRYPTO_TFM_REQ_MAY_SLEEP to the cipher implementation. Isn't that
> wrong?

I think you are referring to lock_sock(sk)?

If so, this should not be the culprit: the socket lock is in essence a mutex-
like operation with its own wait queue that it allowed to sleep. In
lock_sock_nested that is called by lock_sock it even has the call of
might_sleep which indicates that the caller may be put to sleep.

Looking into the code (without too much debugging) I see in the function
p8_aes_cbc_encrypt that is part of the stack trace the call to
preempt_disable() which starts an atomic context. The preempt_enable() is
invoked after the walk operation.

The preempt_disable increases the preempt_count. That counter is used by
in_atomic() to check whether we are in atomic context.

The issue is that blkcipher_walk_done may call crypto_yield() which then
invokes cond_resched if the implementation is allowed to sleep.

@Marcelo: shouldn't be the sleep flag be cleared when entering the
preempt_disable section?

Ciao
Stephan