Re: IV generation

Am Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 08:26:08 CEST schrieb Gilad Ben-Yossef:

Hi Gilad,

> Hi,
>
> A quick question: am I correct in my understanding that there is now
> no automatic IV generation support for either skcipher nor aead?
> And if I'm wrong, can someone point to an example of a driver that
> implements either, as all the ones I see are the deprecated ablkcipher
> interface.
>
> BTW, I'm perfectly fine with not having one, I just want to understand
> I am not missing something...

The automated IV generation is implemented with the generators such as seqiv
or chainiv.

For example, AES-GCM as used for IPSec compliant with RFC4106 generates the IV
(the invocation field part of the IV) with the seqiv. This is handled by the
IPSec stack to initialize the cipher of, say, seqiv(rfc4106(gcm(aes))).

The CTR mode uses the chainiv implementation to manage the IV.

> Thanks in advance,
> Gilad

Ciao
Stephan