Re: crypto: xts: regression in 4.10

On 02/22/2017 12:17 AM, Nicolas Porcel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using aes-xts-plain64 with LUKS headers to crypt the root. In 4.10,
> the partition cannot be opened and I have the following errors when
> booting:
>
>     device-mapper: table: 253:0: crypt: Error allocating crypto tfm
>     device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
>     device-mapper: reload ioctl on  failed: No such file or directory
>     Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for device /dev/mmcblk0p2
>     Check that the kernel supports aes-xts-plain64 cipher (check syslog for more info)
>
> I found that this commit is responsible for the regression (reverting it
> solves the problem):
>
>> commit f1c131b45410a202eb45cc55980a7a9e4e4b4f40
>> Author: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:   Tue Nov 22 20:08:19 2016 +0800
>>
>>     crypto: xts - Convert to skcipher
>
> Some precision: I am using the vanilla kernel source for 4.10. The aes,
> xts and dm-crypt modules are directly compiled in the kernel and not as
> modules. I also had the same problem with kernel 4.10-rc*.

Kernel 4.10 works with LUKS and XTS in general (otherwise I would scream much earlier:-)

I guess either there is a bug in some specific dependency missing
dependency in kernel config. Could you send your kernel .config that fails?

Do you have ECB mode compiled-in as well?

(See commit description, shouldn't XTS now select ECB as well? This seems to me
like a bug...)

> Is it a known issue? I found 1 related email with no answer on the
> dm-crypt mailing. If this is a regression, I can start digging, although
> any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

What mail on dmcrypt list? I do not see any recent mail.

Milan