Re: algif for compression?

Hi,

>> I see the algif_hash and algif_blkcipher implementations to allow
>> userspace AF_ALG socket access to kernel blkcipher and hash
>> algorithms, but has anyone done a algif_compression to allow userspace
>> access to compression algs?  I'm asking specifically wrt the 842
>> crypto module, which uses the hardware compression coprocessors on
>> newer powerpc systems.
>>
>> If not, is there any reason against adding a algif_compression to
>> provide the access?
>
> For a start nx-842 isn't even hooked into the crypto layer so
> there is no chance of exporting it through algif as is.
>
> There is no reason why you couldn't add it of course but that'd
> be a first step.

We are also looking for user-space access to the kernel crypto layer
compression algorithms. I have gone through AF_ALG but couldn’t find
support for compression ops through it. This is required for our
hardware zip engines whose driver hooks up to the crypto layer.

I was going through the lists and stumbled across this thread. Has
there been  any updates or efforts put up in this direction since this
thread is a few years old. If not, are there any alternate
implementations that allow user-space access to compression? I have
gone through cryptodev and see the same limitation there.

Would appreciate any pointers in this regard.

Thanks,
Abed
(Cavium Inc)