Re: [RFC] KEYS: Exposing {a,}symmetric key ops to userspace and other bits

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 11:07 +0000, David Howells wrote:
> Hi Marcel, Mimi, Tadeus,
>
> I want to consider adding or doing the following bits to the keyrings
> facility, aiming for the next merge window:
>
>  (*) Bring in the patches that I posted to change how the trust model on a
>      keyring works.
>
>      The model will then be that keys aren't automatically marked trusted, but
>      linking a key into a keyring that is marked trusted-only will validate
>      the key against the contents of the keyring before permitting its
>      addition.

This trust model is flawed.   We've already discussed this trust model
back when first introducing the concept of a trusted keyring.   Refer to
the v3 "ima: extending secure boot certificate chain of trust" patch set
https://lwn.net/Articles/576563/, which describes two methods of
verifying a certificate before adding the key to the trusted keyring.

The first method  "4/5 KEYS: verify certificate is signed by a trusted
key on the target keyriing" is similar to the method being proposed
here.  The subsequent patch "5/5 KEYS: verify certificate is signed by a
trusted key on a particular keyring" rejected using the same keyring for
validating the new key being added.  It defined a new separate keyring
for validating the keys.  (Neither of these patches were upstreamed.)

Dmitry Kasatkin proposed a third method, which identified the "trusted"
key(s) on the system keyring, instead of maintaining a separate keyring.
As there wasn't a usecase requiring a separate keyring at the time, his
approach was upstreamed.  Now Petko Manoliv and Mark Bausche  have a
valid use case scenario for having a separate keyring.  (For the details
refer to:
https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-security-module@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg03503.html)

With the proposed trust model change, the keys trusted to verify file
signatures would be allowed to also verify certificate signatures.  For
example, a system owner trusts company A to verify file signatures, yet
they want to retain control over which certificates may be added to the
keyring.  Just because company A trusts company/government X, doesn't
mean the system owner also trusts company/government X.   By having one
keyring, other certificates signed by company A could be added to the
keyring.

>      Note that we can then vary the policy on a per-keyring basis.
>
>  (*) Add Mimi's patches to allow keys/keyrings to be marked undeletable.  This
>      is for the purpose of creating blacklists and to prevent people from
>      removing entries in the blacklist.  Note that only the kernel can create
>      a blacklist - we don't want userspace generating them as a way to take up
>      kernel space.
>
>      I think the right way to do this is to not allow marked keys to be
>      unlinked from marked keyrings, but to allow marked keys to be unlinked
>      from ordinary keyrings.
>
>      The reason the 'keep' mark is required on individual keys is to prevent
>      the keys from being directly revoked, expired or invalidated by keyctl
>      without reference to the keyring.  Marked keys that are set expirable
>      when they're created will still expire and be subsequently removed and if
>      a marked key or marked keyring loses all its references it still gets
>      gc'd.

Agreed.  I'll fix and re-post soon.

Mimi