Re: ahash vs. shash

On 14 May 2014 04:39, Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dmitry Kasatkin <dmitry.kasatkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ahash allows to use HW acceleration, but usually it comes at a cost of
>> additional HW related configuration overhead, such as configuring hash
>> module, DMA, etc. For that reason hashing small chucks of data is
>> faster doing it with shash (CPU) rather than HW acceleration.
>>
>> I measured long time ago on omap-sham driver but cannot recall any data.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience under what data size it is still
>> better to use shash?
>
> It's going to be hardware-specific.  It'll also depend on whether
> you're coming from user-space or not as that would entail a bigger
> per-request overhead, meaning that you need more data to break
> even.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Home Page: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/
> PGP Key: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt

Thanks for the reply.

Integrity subsystem hashing files and file sizes of course are much different.
It is nice to minimize overall hashing time.

I made a patch for ahash support, but without removing shash.
It defines kernel command line parameter for file size threshold when
start using ahash.
It may be adjusted/tuned based on the particular HW.

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kasatkin/linux-digsig.git/commit/?h=ima-experimental&id=85189d1265da83c4a5c537071b1fe4cddec59a54

-Dmitry