Re: Status of aes in Debian/Ubuntu? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Just thought it might be useful for someone else
in the future if I feed back the results of some
of my tests.

The first test is the set up of a dm-crypt based
loop back partition:

	# Create a file for our little 30GB test disk
	dd if=/dev/zero of=other.ext4 count=60M

	# Connect it as a loop back.
	losetup /dev/loop0 other.ext4

	# Do a badblocks check that leaves random data on
	# the 'underlying' media.
	badblocks -c 10240 -s -w -t random -v /dev/loop0

	# Generate the partition table and create a single
	# partition
	cfdisk /dev/loop0

	# We will need kpartx to make the partition accessible
	apt-get install kpartx
	kpartx -a -v /dev/loop0
	ls -alF /dev/mapper

	# Now make it a crypt partition and give it a password
	cryptsetup --verbose --verify-passphrase luksFormat /dev/mapper/loop0p1
	WARNING!
	========
	This will overwrite data on /dev/mapper/loop0p1 irrevocably.
	Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
	Enter LUKS passphrase:
	Verify passphrase:
	Command successful.

	# Do the partition crypto set up and give it a device name:
	cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/mapper/loop0p1 junk1
	Enter passphrase for /dev/mapper/loop0p1:

	# Now put a file system on it, create a mount point and
	# mount it.
	 mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/junk1 -m 0.0 -L "WhoIsJohnGalt"
	 mkdir /junk1
	 mount /dev/mapper/junk1 /junk1

The remaining puzzle bits here are the issue of how to make
this work off of /etc/fstab, if that is possible. I also am
going to see if the resulting file backed crypto disk is
directly mountable on a VM as well.

In addition, I still also want to take a look at what it takes
to make loop-aes work. I was more involved with the cryptoloop
guys way back when and AFAIK, it's dead and gone.

Any suggestions about the fstab issues are welcome.