Re: aesni-intel as module = cryptsetup failure

On 05/07/2011 04:21 AM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> I just moved my boot disk from an old machine to a new machine.  The
> new machine has AES-NI and it failed to boot.
>
> The problem appears to be that aesni-intel, when loaded as a module,
> makes cryptsetup fail on an aes-xts-plain drive.  The error looks
> like:

> device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
> device-mapper: table: 253:0: crypt: Error allocating crypto tfm
> device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table

dmcrypt works with AES-NI without problem.

If it is during boot, probably just some modules are missing in your initramfs.

I remember exactly the same problem and it was caused by missing crypto/fpu.ko
kernel module, adding module to initrams explicitly
like "dracut --force --add-drivers fpu" helped in this case (on Fedora).

Milan