Best mode of operation for AES-128 on x86_64?

Hello,

I'm currently using a LUKS volume which contains an encrypted LVM with
itself contains my root, home and swap partitions.

My processor is a core 2 duo 2.26ghz and I'm running x86_64. I'm using
cbc-essiv:sha256 and AES with 128 bit key.

I was wondering, is CBC mode the fastest?
I have a fast processor and can't really complain about the read/write
speed, but I was wondering if I could gain any speed from counter mode
or other mode.

I would also like to ask what are the real world speed gains when
using AES-NI? Can anyone please point me to some benchmarks, if there
are any?

Thank for the help,
Pedro