From: David McCullough [mailto:David_Mccullough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 2009年10月14日 19:44
To: Leo Yan
Cc: linux-crypto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Questions For Linux Crypto API

Jivin Leo Yan lays it down ...

> Hi, all
>
> I am a newbie for Linux crypto.
> Recently I am warming up on Linux Crypto APIs and have some questions.
> Would you kindly give me some hints about it J ?
>
> 1. Does Linux Crypto API now support user space or not?
> I have googled the mailing list, and find some guys have committed some patches for it.
> But so far, in the Linux mainline (2.6.31) do not merge it.
> So Linux Crypto API will support user space or not?

Someone else will know more about this.  People are working on it I think but it's not there yet.

> 2. OCF has been ported to Linux, so will OCF integrate with Linux Crypto API or not?

OCF has a driver called cryptosoft that uses the linux crypto API.

[leo]: thanks a lot. I got it.

> If Linux Crypto API will support the user space and provide the user
> space APIs, then OpenBSD Cryptographics Framework will directly use
> the Linux Crypto APIs or not? Otherwise

Once linux has it's own user space API you will not need OCF to provide one, but you will need to add/wait for support for applications like openssl etc to use the linux API.

[leo]:
This user space API you referred is the standard API on Linux, or the POSIX APIs? I googled and can NOT find it.
Can you give me further more guide for it?

So i think the framework looks like below, is it right?
|-------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------|
                               ^
| Dedicated Device Driver for it            |Linux Crypto API                           | => this is the API maintained by Herbert in kernel space

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough,  david_mccullough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  Ph:+61 734352815