Re: [RFC] MPI module

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 03:25:06AM +0000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > My endgame is simple, I'd like to see an in-kernel SSL/TLS
> > implementation in Linux happen. There are many reasons to want that,
> > ranging from performance reasons (waking the userland each time you
> > perform a handshake isn't particularly nice, and it's easy to make
> > system-wide session caches) to really cool features being enabled:
> >  - you can send "secure" file descriptors around through Unix Sockets,
> >    or prepare a "secure" socket, let it be your stdin/stdout pair and
> >    exec a service knowing nothing about SSL (think inetd-like stuff) ;
> >  - you can deploy secure services where the actual server knows nothing
> >    about the certificate that is used ;
> >  - you can have a system-wide service dealing with peer certificate
> >    validations and have a real system-wide policy in this regard ;
> >  - you could even think of some netfilter stuff to enforce security on
> >    a given socket, even if the service behind the socket knows nothing
> >    about it (bye bye stunnel)...
> >
> > Nowadays, the kernel has most of what we need cipher-wise for TLS/SSL.
> > Only the key-exchange protocols and the very TLS protocol are lacking.
> > I'm currently addressing the former issue, namely, bringing RSA and
> > Diffie-Hellman to the kernel.
>
> Stop right there.  There is absolutely no reason why you need
> to do the TLS stuff in kernel to achieve the goals you listed
> above.
>
> What you should do is have user-space create the session, and
> then give the keys to the kernel to do the data-path.  Please
> take a look at IPsec for an example of how the work is divided
> between user-space and the kernel.

So let me rephrase that to be sure we've understood each other. What you
suggest is to have an IKE-like daemon dealing with the keys and all the
handshakes, and that the kernel would only deal with the symmetric
ciphers used on the data path. Is that right ?

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                madcoder@xxxxxxxxxx