Re: crypto: libcrc32c should select crc32c

On Sunday 2009-01-18 06:37, Herbert Xu wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:48:42PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>> Looking at libcrc32c.c shows that it essentially depends on the
>> crc32c crypto module, which was not packed into my initramfs image
>> by mkinitrd because.. there is no dependency.
>
>Actually the whole point of doing the crc32c/libcrc32c reversal
>was to allow multiple providers of crc32c.  As it stands we have
>a generic C version plus an Intel version.
>
>So by applying yuor patch we'll go back to always using the C
>version which is unacceptable.
>
>I think a better way of tackling this is to note this information
>explicitly in the module.  For example, just like module aliases
>we can add explicit module dependencies.

Can we?

I was already thinking about it.. the Solaris kernel has
its "_depends_on" variable for such things

	char _depends_on[] = "crc32c";

kbuild has something similar in its .mod.c files:

	static const char __module_depends[]
	__used
	__attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
	"depends=crc32c";

But in kbuild, this functionality does not seem exported
to me as a macro (maybe MODULE_DEPENDS?).