Re: PadLock XSHA

Sorry for the late response, and putting on my VIA hat for a second:

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 09:55:00PM +1200, Michal Ludvig wrote:

> > Can you remind me the reason why our PadLock SHA implementation
> > copies things into a page before hashing it?
> >
> > According to the programming manual, it would seem that the state
> > should be recorded in EDI after each 64-byte block so we should
> > be able to use the init/update/final model, no?
> >
> > Or has the chip changed since we implemented it?
>
> IIRC The first versions of VIA PadLock required the input data to be
> aligned on 16-bytes boundaries and more importantly they always
> finalised the hash. Therefore we had to collect all data before hashing
> them.
>
> AFAIK Recent versions of PadLock don't insist on finalising the hash and
> don't insist on input data alignment either and this workaround isn't
> needed anymore. I don't know if VIA still sells their motherboard models
> with the older CPUs or not.

as far as I know, all VIA padlock enabled processors that you can buy today
always finalize the hash.  I have heard rumors that with the CN / Nano this is
changing.  VIA will update the padlock programming manual about that.

Since AFAIK Nano is still only sampling and thre's no end-user product with
that CPU in the market yet, there's no hurry right now.

I'll make sure to ping you guys once three is news about this.
--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)