Re: [dm-devel] Desynchronizing dm-raid1

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Herbert Xu wrote:

Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

BTW: is it guaranteed for crypto functions that they read the source data
only once?

There is no such guarantee.

Cheers,

So we'll have to copy the sector to temporary space before encrypting it.

I'll look at it.

Mikulas

Do you think that it would make sense to add a flag to crypto API that says that the encryption function reads the input only once? --- so that we wouldn't have to copy the data when using an algorithm which doesn't need it.

Or do you thint it would be useless (all major disk-encryption algorithms read input buffer more times?) or it would create too much code complexity?

Mikulas