Re: AES with CTS Mode

On Jan 16, 2008 4:13 PM, Joy Latten <latten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 15:28 -0500, Kevin Coffman wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I need to implement AES with CTS mode for NFSv4 (rfc3962 & rfc4121).
> >
> > I have implemented CTS starting with a copy of CBC (crypto/cbc.c),
> > since CTS is the same as CBC except for the last two blocks.
> >

> I am not sure I understand, but couldn't you use the CTS in cryptoapi?
>
> regards,
> Joy

Thanks for the reply!  It may be me that doesn't understand.  I'm
currently stuck at 2.6.24-rc3.  I do see messages about CTR mode being
added -- which I think is different than CTS?

If CTS is already available, please give me more details of where to
find it and ignore the rest of this rambling!

To (hopefully) better explain my problem, because of data placement
and alignment issues, we currently call crypto_blkcipher_encrypt_iv()
multiple times for a single RPC request (i.e. a large data write).
This works fine with CBC mode (used by DES and 3DES) since there is no
difference in how any of the blocks are treated, as long as the IV is
carried forward correctly.

When trying to do the same for AES with CTS, each trip into
crypto_blkcipher_encrypt_iv() treats the last two blocks of that
"chunk" differently.  So what I think I need is a way to tell the code
up front that I'm going to be calling it several times and not to do
the CTS trick until the last "chunk" containing the last two blocks.
(That is simplifying it a bit, since the last chunk may not be two
blocks long... Also, the last block may not be a complete block.)

Thanks!
K.C.
-