Re: {twofish,aes}-{x86_64,i586} versus C implementations

Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Currently there are two twofish and two aes implementions on x86.
> Worse when both are enabled as modules a modprobe aes
> will get the C version which seems to be slower on K8
> and about the same speed on Core2 on my tests.

Hi Andi:

Are you sure you get the C version when both are built-in
or loaded as modules? If so then we have a bug in the priority
code.

If you only have the C version loaded then that is understandable
since the module loading code doesn't know about the other one.

> Is there a specific reason why anybody would prefer the C functions
> over the assembler functions?

We don't, but the system is meant to allow multiple
implementations to coexist and picking the best one
at run-time.

Cheers,
-