Re: [ACRYPTO] New asynchronous crypto layer (acrypto) release.

Hi,

I finally got around testing 2.6.18.1 + acrypto.
but it "does not work" - I usualy boot, enter my
passphrases for rsa key / openssl decrypts some random
bytes with them, and a hex version of those random bytes
is used with dm-setup to initialize a dm-crypt mapping
which again is used for mounting root and swap (or
resume in case it has a suspend image on them).

but with the acrypto patched kernel the system freezes
without any response. the script in the initramfs is not
"set +x" so I'm not sure which command causes the freeze,
so I guess it is either the dm-setup, the resume trigger
(echo to a file in /sys/) or the mount for root or the
swapon.

As I answered in your first e-mail, yes, you just need to patch 2.6.18
tree and load one of the crypto provider.

what exactly would be "load one of the crypto providers"?
+# Asynchronous crypto layer
+#
+CONFIG_ACRYPTO=y
+CONFIG_ASYNC_PROVIDER=y
+# CONFIG_CONSUMER is not set
+# CONFIG_ASYNC2OCF_BRIDGE is not set
+
+#
this change to .config should be enough
(ok, 2.6.18.1 also enabled CONFIG_CONNECTOR and CONFIG_PROC_EVENTS).

I documented the setup of my laptop with encryption here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemHowto4

and I can post kernel config etc. if it helps. there was no
kernel message when the machine froze (or more like waiting
for something forever - ctrl-alt-del still worked fine).

note: kernel 2.6.18 was working fine, I didn't try 2.6.18.1
without acrypto changes, but I guess that isn't the issues.
still if you think otherwise, I can give it a try. if there
is some boot option to disable acrypto so dm-crypt will work
as if compiled without acrypto, I would try that too.
is there such an option?

Thanks, Andreas
-