Re: [RFC 3/3] ima: make the integrity inode cache per namespace

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 09:35:39AM -0600, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 09:46:55AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > That's a NAK from me. Stefan's series might be bigger but it does
> > > things correctly. I appreciate the keep it simple attitude but no. I
> > > won't speciale-case securityfs or similar stuff in core vfs helpers.
> >
> > Well, there's a reason it's an unpublished patch.  However, the more
> > important point is that namespacing IMA requires discussion of certain
> > points that we never seem to drive to a conclusion.  Using the akpm
> > method, I propose simple patches that drive the discussion.  I think
> > the points are:
> >
> >    1. Should IMA be its own namespace or tied to the user namespace?  The
> >       previous patches all took the separate Namespace approach, but I
> >       think that should be reconsidered now keyrings are in the user
> >       namespace.
>
> Well that purely depends on the needed scope.
>
> The audit container identifier is a neat thing.  But it absolutely must
> be settable, so seems to conflict with your needs.
>
> Your patch puts an identifier on the user_namespace.  I'm not quite sure,
> does that satisfy Stefan's needs?  A new ima ns if and only if there is a
> new user ns?

I kept thinking about this question while I was out running and while I
admittedly have reacted poorly to CLONE_NEWIMA patches before it feels
to me that this is the right approach after all. Making it part of
userns at least in this form isn't clean.

I think attaching a uuid to a userns alone for the sake of IMA is wrong.
Additionally, I think a uuid only for the userns is too limited. This is
similar to the problem of the audit container id. If we have some sort
of uuid for ima it will automatically evolve into something like a
container id (I'm not even arguing that this is necessarily wrong.).
We also have the issue that we then have the container audit id thing -
if this ever lands and the ima userns uuid. All that makes it quite
messy.

I think CLONE_NEWIMA is ultimately nicer and allows the implementation
to be decoupled from the userns and self-contained as possible. This
also means that ima ns works for privileged containers which sure is a
valid use-case.
It will also make securityfs namespacing easier as it can be a keyed
super where the key is the ima ns (similar to how we deal with e.g.
mqueue).

> I think you two need to get together and discuss the requirements, and come
> back with a brief but very precise document explaining what you need.

Good idea.

[Index of Archives]     [Cgroups]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]