shiftfs status and future development

I wanted to inquire about the current status of shiftfs and the plans
for it moving forward. We'd like to have this functionality available
for use in lxd, and I'm interesetd in helping with development (or
picking up development if it's stalled).

To start, is anyone still working on shiftfs or similar functionality? I
haven't found it in any git tree on kernel.org, and as far as mailing
list activity the last submission I can find is [1]. Is there anything
newer than this?

Based on past mailing list discussions, it seems like there was still
debate as to whether this feature should be an overlay filesystem or
something supported at the vfs level. Was this ever resolved?

Thanks,
Seth

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/1487638025.2337.49.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx