Re: Keyrings, user namespaces and the user_struct

Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ... Perhaps we could simply *remove* the concept of named keys and keyrings.

See Linus's dictum about breaking userspace.

The problem isn't named keys: keys have to be named - the description is how
they're looked up typically.  Further, non-keyring keys can't be looked up
directly by name - you have to search for them in a keyring.

The issue here is named keyrings and keyctl_join_session_keyring().  It might
well have been a bad idea - though I've seen some people arguing for a single
session keyring shared across all a user's logins, in which case, we might
want this after all (or use the user-default session).

One thing we perhaps do want to do, though, is restrict the names of keyrings
to the user_namespace in which the keyring was created.

David