Re: userns idea: preventing SCM_CREDENTIALS from leaking out

Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> IIUC there are multiple ways to end up with a socket pair for which
> one end is in a user namespace and the other is outside of it.  That
> means that SCM_CREDENTIALS can be used by a process in a userns to
> authenticate to a process outside.
>
> This is all well and good (and, as far as I know, correct), but I'm
> not sure this is always the desired behavior.

Preventing a socket pair in contexts where it is not desired is straight
forward so I don't think in general this is a problem.

> In the context of a
> tool like Docker, it might be useful to have several user namespaces
> that have the *same* uids mapped.  Nonetheless, if one of those
> namespaces is compromised, it probably shouldn't be permitted to
> attack things outside the user namespace (or in the host, if any
> interesting uids are mapped).
>
> Would it make sense to have an option to allow a user namespace to opt
> into different behavior so that its users show up as the invalid uid
> as seen from outside (as least for SCM_CREDENTIALS and SO_PEERCRED)?
>
> Implementing this might be awkward (ok, it might actively suck due to
> a possible need for reference counting), but I'm wondering if it's a
> good idea even in principle.

For an idea like this I would really need to see a motivating example,
especially as adding complexity simple makes the analysis of security
properites worse.

As for uid mappings my expectation is that an ordinary user will get
about 10,000 uids that are all reserved for that users.  Which means
that in general there is no excuse for using uids in different
containers for different users.

The only case I can think of for having the same uids mapped is when
we want to share code between containers.  In that case I would suggest
making the directories read-only and ensuring there are no executables
are suid or sgid.  Which prevents the problem you are worrying about.

Eric