Re: allocate specific port range for container?

________________________________
 From: Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Hongbing Wang <hongbingwang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "containers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <containers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: allocate specific port range for container?

Quoting Hongbing Wang (hongbingwang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> Hello LXC experts:
>
> Is it possible to allocate specific transport port range for the socket based applications inside one container?

How do you mean?  You want ports 50000-51000 of the host to be forwarded
to container 1, and 60000-61000 to container 2?

[HB] We want the apps inside LXC_a to use the port b/w 50k - 51k and LXC_b to be allocated the port b/w 60k - 61k.

> Say I have two containers: LXC_a and LXC_b, and each has some socket based applications I cannot modify or have no source code. If I need port range 50000 - 51000 for LXC_a and 60000 - 61000 for LXC_b. Any way to achieve this?
>
> The /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range is for the host to adjust the ephemeral port range, and we do not have the per LXC based setting on the local_port_range. Is this due to that the LXC network namespace isolation is at the L3 level? How could I achieve this per port range LXC?

The network namespaces are actually at L2, not L3.  Each container has
its own routing table.

I think you can get what you want by simply giving each container a veth
nic and using iptables on the host to forward the ports you want to the
appropriate container.  That's how I co-locate web, mail, and other
server containers on the same host.

[HB] for my specific case we do not use iptables. We can route the packets to the LXC_a or LXC_b, but we want the ports to be within specific ranges.

Regards,
-HB