Re: container disk quota

>>> It we can reach a consensus to bind quota on mount namespace for
>>> container or other things maybe.
>>
>> 1. OpenVZ doesn't use mount namespaces and still has quotas per container.
>
> AFAICS, OpenVZ has self-released quota tools to supply this feature.

but standard quota tools work inside container w/o any modifications.
This is very important for us, cause we run unmodified distros inside.

Actually, this is unrelated. I meant that OpenVZ needs ability to have group quotas w/o mount namespaces.

>> 2. BTW, have you seen Dmitry Monakhov patches for same containers quotas via additional inode attribute? it allows to make it journaled.
>
> You means the directly/project quota on ext4?
> If yes, I have observed this feature back to the end of last year in
> EXT4 mail list.

yes

>> How quotas are stored in your case?
>
> It simply cached at memory for now, it also can be tweak up to journaled
> I think, if introducing corresponding routines quota_read/quota_write to
> particular journal file system.

just cached quotas are bad - you never sure they are correct.
journaled quotas (as standart) are much better.

>> 3. I tend to think nowdays such quotas maybe of less need. Quota code doesn't scale well. And it's easier to put container in image file (as OpenVZ recently introduced).
>
> There have such requirements dropped to LXC mail list nowadays.
> Directory quota is pretty cool and it also useful to containers perspective.
>
> However, that's two different quota mechanism.
>
> "Quota code doesn't scale well".
> Do you means it have global locking mechanism and only quota structure
> to bill up quota for all file systems with VFS quota enabled?

yes.

Kirill