Re: trying to build simple checkpoint/restart recipes

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:53:22AM +0000, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> What I've done so far:
>
> 	created a KVM vm and installed up-to-date maverick
> 	add-apt-repository ppa:appcr/ppa
> 	apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> 	apt-get install libvirt-bin lxc linux-image-2.6.34-1cr4
> 	sed -i 's/GRUB_DEFAULT=0/GRUB_DEFAULT="Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.34-1cr4-generic"/' /etc/default/grub
> 	update-grub
>
> 	replaced 122 with 123 in /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml and /var/lib/libvirt/network/default.xml
> 	reboot
>
> 	# The following should go into an upstart script shipped with the appcr packages
> 	# as they must be done on each boot
> 	chmod 666 /dev/pts/ptmx
> 	rm /dev/ptmx
> 	ln -s /dev/pts/ptmx /dev/ptmx
> 	mkdir -p /cgroup
> 	mount -t cgroup cggroup /cgroup/
> 	echo /bin/remove_dead_cgroup.sh > /cgroup/release_agent
> 	echo 1 > /cgroup/notify_on_release
> 	#
>
> 	cat > /etc/lxc-basic.conf << EOF
> 	lxc.network.type=veth
> 	lxc.network.link=virbr0
> 	lxc.network.flags=up
> 	EOF
>
> 	lxc-create -f /etc/lxc-basic.conf -n cr1 -t ubuntu
> 	cd /var/lib/lxc/cr1/rootfs/sbin
> 	mv init upstart
>
> 	cat > init << EOF
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	rm -f /shutdown
> 	hostname cr1
>
> 	exec 0<&-
> 	exec 0</dev/null
> 	exec 1>&-
> 	exec 1>nohup.out
> 	exec 2>&-
> 	exec 2>nohup.out
>
> 	mkdir -p /tmp2
> 	mount --bind /tmp2 /tmp
>
> 	mount -a
> 	mount -t proc proc /proc
> 	mount -t tmpfs varrun /var/run
> 	mkdir /var/run/network
> 	mkdir /var/run/sshd
> 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.123.21 up
> 	screen -A -d -m -S console
>
> 	/usr/sbin/sshd
> 	while [ ! -f /shutdown ]; do
> 		  sleep 4s
> 	done
> 	EOF
>
> 	lxc-start -n cr1
>
> 	(in another console)
> 	ssh 192.168.123.21
> 	  screen -r
> 	  ps
> 	  ctrl-a d
> 	exit
>
> 	lxc-freeze -n cr1
> 	lxc-checkout -n cr1 -S /root/cr1.s1
>
> So far, so good.  Note that I couldn't use upstart for my init bc upstart
> uses inotify, which we don't yet checkpoint.  The kernel is compiled without

Interesting, I didn't know that. What does upstart use inotify for?

> ipv6 bc that was also causing a problem (though I thought ipv6 was supported
> for checkpoint?) and therefore I needed a custom libvirt package which didn't
> break when ipv6 is not there.
>
> The problem now is when attempting to restart:
>
> 	lxc-stop -n cr1
> 	lxc-restart -n cr1 -S /root/cr1.s1
>
> There are two issues:
>
> 1. how to re-create the mounts.  Kernel doesn't do it yet.  There
>    isn't (that I know of) a clean way to hook lxc-restart to do it.
>    Comments?

It's incomplete but I think you can save the most important portions of
a mount namespace with a simple 1-line command:

lxc-attach -n cr1 cat /proc/self/mountinfo > cr1.mountinfo

It's incomplete because:

	1. It does not adequately address cross-mount-ns bind mounts (IIRC).

	2. It won't work for nested containers (though I don't know if
		lxc supports this already it's not *too* far fetched
		to expect folks will ask for it in the future). We can
		extend the hack to deal with this by making a small
		change in sys_checkpoint but I can't see how to fix #1
		without doing it all in-kernel anyway.

The restoration of the mounts is not scriptable however. It involves
parsing the mountinfo file and coordinating the mounts with those done by
lxc itself during lxc-restart. I honestly haven't looked at that closely
enough yet to say how pretty/ugly that'd be but it entails
modifications to lxc-restart itself. And since #1 above would still
be an issue I'm not sure it's worth doing it that way.

Cheers,
	-Matt Helsley