Re: [Devel] lxc userspace tools 0.3.0 released

Dmitry Mishin wrote:
> Hi, Daniel!

Hi Dmitry ! good to see you again :)

> I studied a bit lxc tools and have a couple of questions. Could you answer
> them?

Of course I can :)

> 1)  Why did you chose such way of a container's configuration storing? IMHO,
> configuration in one file is better, because this file will be small and
> could be easily mmap'ed for the following operations instead of multiple
> readdir() and filesystem lookups.

I wanted to have the configuration easily hackable, so you can edit
directly the files inside the directory. For example, if you remove the
network directory, when you will start the container, the network will
not be unshared. If you have a single file, that will be more difficult
to edit especially if it is a binary file.

The container tree contains more than the configuration file, for
example, it contains some runtime information.

It is true having a mmapped configuration is more efficient but it is
just for container startup, and there are not thousand of files. The
application running inside the container is not impacted.

> 2) why did you chose cvs as VCS? Git is more common and convenient for
> distributed development...

The lxc userspace tool is a low level component I wrote to play with the
container, and especially to facilitate the kernek hacking. The lxc
kernel website is at lxc.sourceforge.net, so logically I put this
component at the same place. Unfortunately the sourceforge website does
not provide the services for git tree, only CVS/SVN. But I agree 100%
with you, I would have definitively preferred to use git.