Re: [RFD] L2 Network namespace infrastructure

David Miller wrote:
I don't accept that we have to add another function argument
to a bunch of core routines just to support this crap,
especially since you give no way to turn it off and get
that function argument slot back.

To be honest I think this form of virtualization is a complete
waste of time, even the openvz approach.

We're protecting the kernel from itself, and that's an endless
uphill battle that you will never win.  Let's do this kind of
stuff properly with a real minimal hypervisor, hopefully with
appropriate hardware level support and good virtualized device
interfaces, instead of this namespace stuff.

Strongly seconded. This containerized virtualization approach just bloats up the kernel for something that is inherently fragile and IMO less secure -- protecting the kernel from itself.

Plenty of other virt approaches don't stir the code like this, while simultaneously providing fewer, more-clean entry points for the virtualization to occur.

And that's speaking WITHOUT my vendor hat on...

	Jeff