Re: dev_change_netns on a tunnel device

- Because the directing of packets is based on ip address and multiple
  network namespaces are allowed to use the same ip addresses then
  the decode needs to take the network namespace into account.

Hm, but a tunnel device can belong to only one namespace, so shouldn't this get handled automatically, since packet flow upstream of the tunnel is handled by the container route table?

So eg. if we have tunnel ipip0 in container X, with endpoints bound to eth0 in init_net, then encapsulated packets intercepted by the tunnel show up in on ipip0, which if my understanding is correct, should be able to have an address collision with a device in another container, since the other address doesn't show up in the local route table.

- The only thing that would prevent the migration semantics from being
  correct is if you could manipulate a migrated tunnel in such a way that you
  could do something nasty to the source namespace.
  Since a tunnel change command is also a tunnel rename command that should
  force any ipip tunnel into using ip addresses from the current
  namespace, which makes it safe, and thus unable to affect the source
  namespace.

One example of a safety violation is that in GRE, the key participates in routing, and one might be able to set it so that a container sneaks its packets into another tunnel that it doesn't own. Don't know if 'ip tunnel' can be used to do other bad things.

There might also be some applications that assume the semantics in which the backend and frontend are in the same container. eg. the  OSPF daemon of QUAGGA for some reason binds to the 'local' endpoint of a GRE tunnel instead of the address assigned to the interface, and inside a container, fails with a "No such device". We're looking into this right now.

So semantically I believe the tunnel semantics are essentially
correct.  However I believe there are several places where the code
needs to be updated to correctly implement those semantics.

Eric

Ok.

Thank you,
Sapan