Re: Memory Resource Management wiki page

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Dave Hansen wrote:

> OK, I'm really getting confused about what is going on.  We have some
> people arguing for "Software Zones" some for Beancounters, others for
> even more. :)
>
> Can we put together some kind of summary of what we _all_ need?
>
> I've made a wiki page:
>
> http://linux-mm.org/SoftwareZones
>
> There are "Requirements" and "Icing on the Cake".  The Requirements
> should be few and far between.  Please don't confuse "my patch can do
> this today" with "we *must* have this" :).  But, if I missed a basic
> requirement, please add it.
>
> Let's also go and mark up how each approach stacks up against the
> requirements and "Icing" points.  I think most of us are forgetting
> where we're causing others' pain.  A big red cell in a table should
> help.
>
> If you hate wikis, please just send any comments to me, and I'll
> transfer them over there.

I don't want to change the page without your awareness but for software
zones

enforces comprehensive memory limits
 	It depends what you mean by comprehensive. If memory is only
 	ZONE_DMA, then it'll be comprehensive. If HIGHMEM is involved,
 	then it'll only handle userspace mappings properly

code overhead
 	Difficult to estimate. It reuses the existing reclaim code and
  	zone checks but breaking hardware zones into software zones will
 	be tricky as well as the code that moves code between zones

runtime overhead
 	Mapping pages to software zones in containers may be painful

support overcommit

 	I disagree with the accessment here because overcommit could be
 	managed by building zonelists for a container. A container uses
 	it's container zone but if it is allowed to overcommit, it could
 	also use the main software zone

recognise page sharing
 	A shared zone is not required as such. It simply might be fairer
 	for accounting

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center