Re: VT console need rewrite

Pavel Machek, le Wed 15 Dec 2010 15:45:02 +0100, a écrit :
> > But complete unicode support (with arabic ligatures, tibetan
> > combinations, etc.) won't ever be accepted in the kernel as that's far
> > too involved in terms of font rendering.  So the userland way needs to
> > be fixed for these anyway, and then things like chinese will go along...
>
> Well... english has ligatures, too (fi);

English ligatures are extremely far from what arabic needs. People
don't even actually know that there are ligatures in English, while for
arabic, people would even have a hard time reading something that isn't
using ligatures.

> console does not support them nicely and we still use it.

Err, I've very rarely seen the fi/ff ligatures on the console, it was
mostly from copy/pastes from pdf documents.

> Support for eastern european characters by default would be very very
> nice... and yes, that's just breaking the 256 char limit, nothing more
> complex.

The console can do 512 glyphs, not only 256, so eastern europe support
is a matter of combining a latin1 font with parts of the other latin
fonts. That already covers a lot of european languages.

Samuel