Newbie want to know abt Linux console

Dear all,

I am new to this list. Hope I can gain some knowledge about Linux Console with
your help and support. I am a debian user but I got a chance to test Mandrake
Linux and there I saw first time the magic of Linux console. First of all the
Mandrake console was neat and clean with high resolution support and
Colourful text. More over a transparent Logo was there at the buttom of the
screen. It was really nice looking and at the same time disclousing the fact
what power is inbuilt inside Linux console!!

I compiled the kernel with Fb and vesa support. Then I add the vga=791 at the
kernel configuration line at grub.cfg and now I get high resolution screen
with linux logo support at booting. But There are so many things which I have
not found through googling and grateful to the list if some one help me.

1> How can I test what max. resolution my monitor can suport with a command ?

2> High resolution can be opted by SVGA, VGA or fbdevice. What are the
difference between these and how can I know which one is best for my Display
card ?

3> How to get colorful text; like the text in knoppix during booting ?

4> How can I get a colorful propt symbol in the console ? ( .bash-profile ?? )

5> and finally how can I get the tranparent logo at  the butom of my console ?

A no. of question :-) but I am very much interersted to know about the
techniques behind linux console and like to modify my debian console. Kindly
guide me with suggestions, link, or what ever you think helpful for me.

Thanks