Re: Kconfig entry defined multiple times

On 08/22/2012 10:05 AM, gwr wrote:
Hello,

I am working on kernel 2.6.32.38, and I see :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arch/x86/Kconfig, 202 :
=============

config USE_GENERIC_SMP_HELPERS
    def_bool y
    depends on SMP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arch/Kconfig, 112 :
===========

config USE_GENERIC_SMP_HELPERS
    bool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although we have this in Kconfig documentation,
A config option can be defined multiple times with the same name, but every definition can have only a single input prompt and the type must not conflict.

here,
- the first definition is a child of "Linux Kernel Configuration for x86" MainMenu ( arch/x86/Kconfig, 1 ) - the second definition is a child of "General setup" Menu ( init/Kconfig, 24 )

So the hierarchy is different ; Can someone give explanations on this ?

Thx

I forgot the second half on my message :

- I am trying to build a linux kernel configurator that do not need to reparse
  all the kernel Kconfig input at each entry modification

- the problem :

-- if I keep the 2 entries as separates objects, I cant choose between the 2 at expression evaluation time,because the second definition has no dependancy.

  -- the second definition has no dependancy => it suggest that the
2 entries have to be joined into a single entry. But at which place in the hierarchy ?

( note : a "make gconfig" ends up with 2 different USE_GENERIC_SMP_HELPERS entries in the tree )

Now consider the X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORM entry :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arch/x86/Kconfig,312 :
=============

if X86_32
config X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORM
    bool "Support for extended (non-PC) x86 platforms"
    default y
    ---help---
( ...help text 1... )
endif

if X86_64
config X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORM
    bool "Support for extended (non-PC) x86 platforms"
    default y
    ---help---
( ...help text 2... )
endif

the dependancies are mutually exclusive.

So in fact, the real question I ask is : could not be Kconfig grammar simplified, by adding some restricting rules ?

Thx