Re: xfstests generic/089

On Sun, Sep 29, 2024 at 10:59 PM Anthony Nandaa <profnandaa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Steve --
>
> On Sun, 29 Sept 2024 at 18:32, Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone seen xfstest generic/089 going forever (sending compounded
> > open/close then open then close forever)?  This was with current
> > for-next, running to current Samba master (localhost) with "linux"
> > mount option
>
> Getting the same, tests gets into an endless loop even in the
> for-next@f9494b6b6dcadd3ee1d70d27d1419d1084e98ff6 (Aug 20).
>
> Could you please remind me how to get more verbose logs, or
> an approach I can take to help debug this?

Take a look at the "Enabling Debugging" section of:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS_troubleshooting

As an alternative, I usually use dynamic tracing.  To start with, as the
problem repros:

"trace-cmd record -e cifs"
and then in another window
"trace-cmd show"

You can more narrowly trace one certain functions by selecting from
among those e.g. in

/sys/kernel/tracing/events/cifs/ and /sys/kernel/tracing/events/syscalls e.g.

"trace-cmd record -e smb3_open_* -e smb3_close_err -e smb3_reconnect*"

You can also can get an idea of what commands are being sent by looking at:
/proc/fs/cifs/Stats and see number of requests by command (and
checking to see what changes)
You can also look at what process is doing activity on the share by looking at:
/proc/fs/cifs/open_files  and also seeing the requests in flight
("mids") by periodically looking at the bottom of
/proc/fs/cifs/DebugData

Also the additional Debugging section has an example of getting a call
graph if you can narrow it down more.

--
Thanks,

Steve