file descriptor leak in 4.18.6 but not 4.17.5 with the automounter

Im running Oracle linux 9

using autofs  to mount about 45 shares on demand when you cd into them.

As you know, using the automounter, you can mount a machine's worth of drives using a single username/password.  I used a slightly modified version of  these instructions:

https://serverfault.com/questions/219615/mount-cifs-share-with-autofs (see the accepted answer)

I've discovered that using samba-client-libs v 4.18.6, as soon as you attempt to mount a directory that you do NOT have permissions to,
autofs starts leaking file descriptors  at the rate of about 20-30/minute. Eventually you run out of file descriptors. (lsof | grep automount, you can see the count continually increasing)

If you have permissions to EVERY share, everything is fine.

Yes, I realize that mounting things you don't have access ot is a bit silly, but this is still a degradation in functionality, and furthermore crashes the automounter, even if you do it accidently. I think there's a real leak here.

Using samba-client-libs v 4.17.5 (and  4.0.16), and  everything works fine, no climb in file descriptors

I'm considering upgrading to 4.19 and see if this fixes it, does anyone know if this issue has been discovered / changed.?

Geoff Greene
Associate Technical Fellow / Senior Software Ninjaneer