Re: Missing protocol features that could help Linux

On Thu, 2024-04-18 at 15:21 -0500, Steve French via samba-technical
wrote:
> Was following up on a recent question about support for Linux features
> that are missing that could help us pass more xfstests
>
> Looking at the standard fstests for Linux (xfstests that are skipped
> or fail for cifs.ko) to find 'features' that would help, perhaps
> extending the current POSIX Extensions or adding a couple of SMB3.1.1
> FSCTLs, I spotted a few obvious ones:
>
>  1) renameat2 (RENAME_EXCHANGE) and renameat2(WHITEOUT)  2) FITRIM
> support 3) trusted namespace (perhaps xattr/EA extension) 4) attr
> namespace 5) deduplication 6) chattr -i 7) unshare (namespace command)
> 8) delayed allocation 9) dax 10) attr namespace security 11) fstrim
> 12) chattr +s 13) exchange range
>
> Any thoughts on which of these which would be 'easy' for samba and/or
> ksmbd server to implement (e.g. as new fsctls)?

POSIX <-> POSIX locking over SMB is something I have a client trying to
get working with SMB3.

They have a use case where, as I understand it so far, the mapping of
POSIX fcntl() read and write locks to SMB locks isn't 1-1, because they
expect advisory locks, but SMB locks are mandatory as far as I read
it.

They use cifs.ko and Samba, so it isn't about working with Windows, it
is about running Libreoffice on LInux against Samba.

Andrew Bartlett