Hardcoded sleep causes userspace hang

I was surprised to find a hardcoded "msleep(3000);" in the __cifs_reconnect function. When using a cifs automount on wifi, a dropped connection results in an unusable system even in soft mode. Repeated re-connection attempts cause file browsers to hang for minutes. Auto-completion also freezes the command line, especially with zsh. Systemd will attempt to reconnect for every file access and fail, letting the userspace deal with it. This behavior seems sane to me but requires the remount to fail as quickly as possible. Currently, it waits for 3 seconds every time.
Should this delay be user-adjustable?
The use case is specifically for NAS users with laptops, where leaving the local network is a common occurrence and hanging GUIs are undesirable.