Re: SMB3.1.1 QUIC mounts from Linux kernel

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 9:08 AM Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Xin Long,
> I am very interested in trying out LInux kernel SMB3.1.1 mounts using
> QUIC but wasn't sure how far along your kernel code was.   Do you have
> an update on it?   There was at least one other server type that
> implements SMB3.1.1 over QUIC, but probably easiest to test to Windows
> server (e.g. in Azure).
Got it.

As for https://github.com/lxin/quic, it has implemented the basic support
for most main features, but still some important ones are missing, like
Streams and Connection IDs Managements. I'm recently doing interoperability
testing with other C implementations like picoquic.

It still has a long way to go to get into the upstream kernel, but I'm pretty
sure the need by kernel SMB and NFS will speed this up. I think at the same
time, some work can be done in fs/smb to move things forward.

> The SMB3.1.1 changes are small to support QUIC, and I could do those
> (or review yours if you have already done it).

Cool.

I don't really have patches and don't know much detail of fs/smb. So it will
be great if you can try this out on fs/smb.

For the test to Windows server, I will let you know once the basic support
of the rest features is done in the QUIC implementation, maybe in 1-2 months.
Meanwhile, on fs/smb side, I think checking tls_server/client_hello_x509()
API use in net/sunrpc might be helpful for you to design the code in fs/smb.

Thanks.