Re: Displaying streams as xattrs

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 08:57:18PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2023 at 08:34, Jeremy Allison <jra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ADS - "Just Say No !"

I think that is a flawed argument.
It only really means that the virus scanners are broken. So we tell
the virus scanner folks to fix their software.
Viruses hide inside all sort of files and metadata.
There are viruses that hide inside JPEG files too and some of them
even gain privilege escalations through carefully corrupted JPEG
files.
We fix the bugs in the parser, we don't "drop support for JPEG files".

What is the use-case for ADS on Linux ? And don't say "Windows
compatibility" - stories about your mother's advice about
jumping off a cliff have meaning here :-).

Give me an actual *need* for ADS on Linux that can't
be satified any other way before you start plumbing
this horror into the internal VFS code.