Re: ksmbd threads eating masses of cputime

Namjae Jeon <linkinjeon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, How do you reproduce this problem ? Did you run xfsftests
> against ksmbd RDMA ?

Yeah - I've been making sure my cifs filesystem changes work with RDMA.
There've been a lot of connections that haven't been taken down cleanly, due
to oopses, lockups and stuff.

One thing that could be useful is, say, /proc/fs/ksmbd/

> Okay, we need to add maximum retry count for that case.
> but when I check kernel thread name in your top message, It is RDMA connection.
> So smb_direct_read() is used in ksmbd_conn_handler_loop().
> I'd like to reproduce the problem to figure out where the problem is.
> Can I try to reproduce it with soft-iWARP and xfstests?

Note that I only noticed the issue when I switched to working on another
filesystem and found that performance was unexpectedly down by 80%.

I was using softRoCE, though it may well be causable with softIWarp also,
since that's not really a detail visible to cifs/ksmbd, I think.

I've just had a quick go at trying to reproduce this, hard-resetting the test
client in the middle of performing an xfstest run, but it didn't seem to cause
the single ksmbd:r5445 thread to explode.

David