Re: RDMA (smbdirect) testing

Hi Tom,

Can you share the capture file?

See attached.

What version of wireshark are you using?

wireshark-3.6.2-1.fc35.x86_64
Wireshark 3.7.0 (v3.7.0rc0-1686-g64dfed53330f)

Works fine for me with 3.6.2-2 on ubuntu and also a recent wireshark master version.

I just fixed a minor problem with fragmented iwrap_ddp_rdma_send messages in
frames 91-96. Which seem to happen because ksmbd.ko negotiated a preferred send size of 8192,
which is accepted by the cifs.ko. Windows only uses 1364, which means each send operation fits into
a single ethernet frame...

That was not an accident. :)

There's a talk somewhere in which I mentioned how we tried to optimize
the smbdirect fragment size and always landed back on 1364.

Yes, I remember 4096/3 :-)

However, this is only an implementation choice, the protocol supports a wide
range. So it's appropriate for wireshark to be accommodating.

Yes, but the past 20 years showed more than once that, everything but matching
Windows just leads to bugs, because of untested code paths.

See https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/7025

I get a blank frame when I view both changes on this link. Do I need
a gitlab account??

I don't think so, I'm seeing it even without being logged in.

Does https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/7025.patch
or https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/7025/diffs
work?

metze