confusing behavior of cached root directory

I was doing some experiments with Ronnie's patch (to use a cached
handle in query info/query fs info compounding cases, if file is
already open) and it does appear to help a lot, but ... I see some
strange behavior

if I do a mount a share to /mnt directory then
1) stat /mnt
2) stat /mnt/file
the subsequent stat /mnt/file aren't sent on the wire (cached) which is good
if I then to to the server and
3) echo "somedata" >> file
I see a lease break and subsequent stat calls aren't cached until I do
4) stat /mnt
then
5) stat /mnt/file
again