Re: Locking issue between NFSv4 and SMB client

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 03:39:52PM -0700, dai.ngo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 9/23/21 2:50 PM, Bruce Fields wrote:
On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 04:45:22PM -0700, dai.ngo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Bruce,
Oops, sorry for neglecting this.

I'm doing some locking testing between NFSv4 and SMB client and
think there are some issues on the server that allows both clients
to lock the same file at the same time.
It's not too surprising to me that getting consistent locks between the
two would be hard.

Did you get any review from a Samba expert?  I seem to recall it having
a lot of options, and I wonder if it's configured correctly for this
case.

No, I have not heard from any Samba expert.

It sounds like Samba may be giving out oplocks without getting a lease
from the kernel.

I will have to circle back to this when we're done with the 1st
phase of courteous server.

-Dai

--b.

Here is what I did:

NOTE: lck is a simple program that use lockf(3) to lock a file from
offset 0 to the length specified by '-l'.

What does lockf map to in NFS ?

Samba only uses posix fcntl byte range locks (and only when
told to map SMB locks onto underlying posix locks), we don't use
lockf at all.